Wednesday, July 11, 2007

Week 6: Del.icio.us Bookmarking - Thing #13

I viewed the Del.icio.us tutorial and the PLCMCL2 link.

I visited Del.icio.us and looked at a site, The Beauty of Ruby, that was bookmarked by 132 people and had 113 comments. I found the comments so technical that I am still not really sure what "Ruby" actually is--one comment said it was "somewhere between Smalltalk and Perl." A couple comments noted, "some of the best things about Ruby aren't obvious to newcomers"; that pretty well summed it up for me!

I looked under the tag "science" and found an interesting article from the Infoworld Staff dated 2/19/07, "12 Crackpot tech ideas that could transform the enterprise." One section discussed the expected and actual acceptance of e-books.

I tried the optional challenge to set up an account in Del.icio.us; however, I have been unable to receive their confirmation via my work email that requires my response to complete the process.

I like the idea of being able to access my bookmarks from different computers. I can see where this tool would be useful for tracking research or creating a shared reading list. The idea of folksonomy and using this peer-driven tagging is so very different from the strict criteria of using recognized subject headings to search the various online databases that was the instilled in me at library school less than 10 years ago. What changes!

1 comment:

James said...

here's one cool way that a library has found to use del.icio.us. they put commonly used sites in order by dewey for quick use at the desk. http://del.icio.us/SanMateoLibrary